Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Practical Solutions

I recently ran into someone who has been searching for a job for several months.  She told me that she was starting to get discouraged, and feeling desperate.  Her financial situation was tenuous, and she was finding herself getting more and more depressed.  She wasn't getting out of bed every day, she rarely left the house, and she lived in sweats and pajamas.

This is not unusual.  Motivation doesn't just happen...and rejection is hard to take.  That is why I stick to such a strict schedule, and schedule almost as much time NOT job hunting as I do job hunting!  The last time I was out of work, I made it a full time job to seek employment for the first couple of months.  I never left the computer and I constantly had a knot in my stomach.

Five months after I lost my job, I took a consulting job that was a great experience.  I loved the people and loved the work.  The company was too far away to be a viable full time option, but the work that I did and the money that I made allowed me to stretch my savings and spend two days a week searching for a more permanent position. 

Equally important to the money was the motivation.  It got me out of bed and dressed in the morning, had me interacting with intelligent, interesting people and made me feel valued.  You need to feel valued when you're going through a job search.  No matter how many times people tell you that
"it's just business," it often feels VERY personal.

Motivation gets harder and harder.  It is tempting to roll over and go back to sleep, to try and ignore stress, rejection and financial worries.  Try to overcome that urge.  You WILL feel better if you get up, shower and get dressed.  Not in sweats, but in "real" clothes. 

Pretend you're playing a role, if you have to.  Put on clothes that make you feel good, do your hair, and put a big smile on your face.  Then, leave the house!  Go to the library, a support group, take a walk - do something that inspires you to face the day.

More on motivation in the coming days...there are lots of ways to get inspired, and I am going to share them with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment